The seminar deals with the different communication skills and formats used at a high academic level. During the seminar the student will work with the material of the individual thesis. The training consist of conveying the research material in different formats, e.g. in the form of a paper presentation in an academic congress, a research proposal for a dissertation project, an academic journal article, etc. At the end of the seminar the student will choose one of the formats that have been discussed to present his/her research results as the final assignment.
- To acquire knowledge of the principal communication skills and formats at a high academic level.
- To be able to give a persuasive academic oral presentation;
- To be able to engage the international academic debate (congress panel).
- To build an argument that leads to its conclusion in a clear, coherent, and verifiable manner.
- To reflect critically on the role played by the graduates´ personal points of view and interests;
- To present a research project with a great degree of independence.
Mode of instruction
5 EC = 140 hours in total.
Oral presentation (20%)
Short assignments (30%)
Final assignment (50%) (At the end of the course, the student will choose one of the writing formats as a final assignment.)
the final mark for the course is established by determining the weighted average
If the final grade is lower than a 6.0, there will be a re-sit. The re-sit is the revision of the final assignment (100%) and will replace all previous grades.
How and when an exam review will take place will be disclosed together with the publication of the exam results at the latest. If a student requests a review within 30 days after publication of the exam results, an exam review will have to be organized.
Blackboard will be used for:
- providing study materials
To be announced.
Enrolment through uSis is mandatory.
General information about uSis is available in English and Dutch
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs
For questions about the content of the course, you can contact the teacher:
Dr. N. Timmer
Coordinator of Studies: A.C. Wapenaar MA
Administrations Office: van Wijkplaats