At least the first year (60 ECTs) must have been completed
The aim of this seminar abroad is that the students experience African societies in multiples ways:
1. Through participating in an African University;
2. Learning a second African language;
3. Doing a small research.
In principle, the semester abroad is in second semester of year 2;
Students can also opt to participate in a diaspora community, and study at a European University close to the diaspora community.
1. Students take 15 EC courses of their choice at a local university in the country where they go to.
2. Next to this the students will learn a second language worth 10 EC.
3. Students must submit a proposal of their trip to the Examination Board. The lecturers of the programme can be appraoched for contacts.
4. The Africa trip is subsidized.
5. With the knowledge gained in the methodological courses (Activating the Past; Research in Present-day Africa; Oral Performance) the student has to develop a research proposal and do a small research that will result in a paper 0f 8000 Words.
The paper can be written in English or French.
Students experience an African environment and show their capability to study a language; they will also acquire research skills.
The timetables are available through My Timetable.
Mode of instruction
Student follow the course Research in Practice simultaniously during their Study in Africa.
The student has to show that he/she has followed 15 ECTs courses with good results;
The students will do a short exam on the acquired second language in Leiden with the lecturers who teach African languages (10EC)
The research paper (to be assessed as part of the course Research in Practice).
Courses at the University abroad: 15 ECTs.
Language acquisition: 10 ECTs.
There is no resit; the stay in Africa is obligatory.
Inspection and feedback
How and when an exam review will take place will be disclosed together with the publication of the exam results at the latest. If a student requests a review within 30 days after publication of the exam results, an exam review will have to be organized.
Enrolment through MyStudyMap is mandatory.
For substantive questions, contact the lecturer listed in the right information bar.
For questions about enrolment, admission, etc, contact the Education Administration Office: Reuvensplaats